Tuesday, December 19

The Spirit of Christmas Present

Well the ol' salmonella has got me in a bit of a Christmas slump, so I'm going to talk determindely and incessently about it and do as much as humanely possible to keep in The Seasononal Mood! Therefore I will write my first Meme. Sorry guys if you're sick of everyone else's Christmas meme's, but I desperately want another reason to talk about Christmas.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Chocolate would win over anything at any other point of the year - but festivity calls, and egg nog it must be! Particularly the home-made creamy kind... Mmmmm...

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa most definitely wraps the gifts, disguising them with intriguing-shaped packages. i.e.: a ring would be wrapped in around 8 different kinds of boxes and end result would be an enormous giraffe-shaped package.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

All the colours of the rainbow! My favourites being blue, red and green!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

I've never really had that tradition, but I suppose there's a time to start! Although, wouldn't that give all the perves of the world a strange window of opportunity?

5. When do you put your decorations up?

As soon as people let me. I do wait until after Thanksgiving- but It takes all of my willpower not to put them out the day after.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top.
The pheasant my dad has taken to cooking every year.
Mom's dark and creamy home-made chocolate fudge.
Creamy oyster stew on Christmas Eve.
Nutty fruity fluffy stuffing.
Home-made chex party mix (not made with Chex, but with shredded wheat)
Pretty much everything and anything my parents make at Christmas time!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

One holiday memory? Please see number 13!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

Um - excuse me. What truth about Santa? Santa comes and fills my stocking every single year.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Our family opens all our gifts on Christmas Eve after stuffing ourselves with oyster stew, crackers and a giant cheese ball. I think opening the presents on Christmas Eve comes from Swedish tradition - It's nice to hear that other distant family members do this too. I dread the day that I may have to change the tradition. It just wouldn't be the same!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

With thousands of colourful lights and a memory hung with each ornament.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

I absolutely love snow. And miss it. We all ask for a white Christmas here in England but when it arrives it's all gray, wet and sludgy - Not exactly the dream-like white Christmas we wish for!

12. Can you ice skate?

Yes, I definitely can. In Switzerland I used to go quite often. One of my favourite presents from when I was a kid was my very own pair of white ice skates. MAN I wish my feet hadn't grown to be narrow mini-canoes!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Apart from the beatiful ice skates, one Christmas gift does stand out in my memory. I'm sure both of my siblings would agree that this is a memorable one! I think I was around 7-8 years old, and we didn't have a VCR. All of us desperately wanted one. That year, we were convinced we were getting one for Christmas.

One morning (I think we may have been watching Happy Days with our cereal) my dad brought in a curiously VCR-looking package that was quite heavy. It was placed in the corner of the Christmas tree arrangement. My sister and I giggled away with excitement and knowing faces. "This is it!" we cried. "Our lives will now be fulfilled by movies galore!"

When my dad came back into the room we asked him with knowing voices "Who's this for? Is it for us?" Where he answered "No my children. This one is a special present for your mother." we were devastated. All our hopes for Christmas had been dashed! Dashed I tell you!

You won't be surprised to hear that during the Christmas Eve opening ceremony, mom's present was the last package under the tree that year. All of our presents had been opened, and we were all slightly anti-climaxed with the evening (No more presents to open? No VCR?) As mom started to open her special rectangular shaped present, she asked us all to join her in opening it, as it was "just sooo big!"

As we stripped away layer and layer of wrapping paper (please refer to Question Number 2 for reasoning) our excited little hands started *literally* shaking with delight and excitement. They had foiled us!!! They had given us the best surprise present ever!!! Our beloved VCR!! We danced around the wrapping-paper filled room in our new fluffy Christmas PJs like we had won the Olympics. I can honestly say that my 7 year old moment of pure and real excitement is one of the best feelings I have ever felt. Bizarre? I think so! But I still remember those few moments after we opened that present, where we felt that we truly ruled the world!

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Being around family. Which makes it difficult that I can only be around my parents! But I still get excited for the future for one Christmas where we might *actually* spend the holidays together.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Pecan Pie! Chocolate Fudge! Do you really want me to do this again?

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

The whole Christmas Eve thing - Also, going to Church on Christmas morning. Even though as a kid I used to slightly resent it, I really do find it the most important thing on Christmas Day. As a side note, I do love the excuse to sit for hours putting together a puzzle.

17. What tops your tree?

My tree at home always had a home-made Christmas star that my sister made when she was a kid. At the moment I don't have anything.

18.Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?

Giving!!! Giving!! I love to see people's surprised faces. I love it.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

I don't have just one favourite - One of my favourites is Cliff Richard's version of Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. Very 80's. But I love it so! I've just gotten into Jewel's Christmas album and can not get 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer' out of my head. I love her version!

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

I love candy canes. You can't get them in England, and that makes me sad.


So now you've mosyed through my first meme, go check out my cousin's Christmas memes too! And if you so desire, write your own! It's actually very good for keeping the spirit up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty freaky!!! I love reading your stuff. It's like we don't live thousands of miles away all of the sudden.

Dad cooking a pheasant must be fairly new, since it's not one of my memories. And how could I forget the Christmas puzzle? I also love that Cliff Richard song. And I don't think anyone could have written up the VCR surprise any better!

Do you ever watch the Box of Delights? That's something I'd like to see again around Christmas.

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

If you are looking for candy canes there arfe on sale in Aldi. I bought 12 for 99p last week! Enjoy christmas eve.

Anonymous said...

Loved the memes rach. Mom

Dawn said...

This is fun - getting to see your funny side. I haven't seen it, even when we were together last summer. I know - you were homesick!

You guys have great traditions - hope you can all be together someday - maybe with Angie and Kevin - maybe we'll come too! Oh, I just invited myself over for Christmas!

ashli said...

loved reading that!

Anonymous said...

I remember that VCR Christmas well, too. We knew you all really wanted one, but didn't realise just how much. We were surprised the deception actually worked--and the total surprise from all three of you was a delight to behold. We just laughed.

I think my 'default' Christmas memories come from Old Hall Lane, when you were all still home, with everything you describe.

Glad you'll be home soon!