Saturday, December 2

Apparently, Goldman Sucks.


There has been a protest outside of my building every day for the past week. It has been so bad that we haven’t been able to leave the building at times – There have been police vans parked outside on Fleet St. and policemen barricading the revolving doors.

The protest is on behalf of the cleaners that work in my building – apparently Goldman Sachs do not pay them enough money, and they don’t even get sick pay or holiday pay. What do you think they would do if I ran downstairs and joined the protestors? I’d probably get sacked.

When issues come up like this around the workplace (the fact that I am booking video conferences for bankers that cost more then a first class flight would cost for 10 people*) I think back to my International Development classes at University. I would end up sitting there sheepish and embarrassed that I worked for Starbucks, shamefaced that I bought my fruit anywhere else other then Co-op, completely mortified that I would even think of missing one of the rallies or protests down-town.

I wonder what my tutors would think of me now, sitting in the office of corporate money in my pencil skirt, chatting happily away with all the millionaire bankers, passing the protesters by inconspicuously.

It’s interesting where the tide takes you.

*ok, let me breathe and say that again - a hi-tech video conference costs around the same as the people mosying on over by first class to the other location and speaking face to face. Ah!

No comments: