Monday, December 11

My Sunday in London-town

I have found it difficult to find a Church that I like in London. There are plenty of churches to choose from, but I suppose throughout my life I have been spoilt as far as churches go. I have always been surrounded by Theologians and musicians in the churches throughout my childhood. In the past year, I have left church on a Sunday feeling rather... disappointed. Sometimes confused, sometimes a little scared…

I sit either questioning their theology in my head, or cringing because of the ‘singer’ up front who seems to think they’re giving a concert. Once, I even thought I might have to get up and leave because I thought they were about to start ‘slaying in the spirit’. It can be a little too much for my Church-thirsty mind to face up to on a Sunday morning. But this could fill about 15 posts, so I will continue with the story.


Yesterday we decided to go to St. Paul’s Cathedral for Choral Evensong. It only takes 13 minutes on the bus and Conrad had never been inside before.

My apartment is in South London, so every morning on my way to work I cross over Blackfriar's Bridge and have an absolutely amazing view of all the London sights. On the right, I have Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral. On the left, you can see the London Eye, the edge of Houses of Parliament and the Oxo Building. This is one of my favourite things about living in London - instant access to sites and events that people travel from accross the world to see.



When we got there, we realized it wasn’t actually Evensong, but they had an organ recital. We made our way up the aisle to the choir stands to get the best possible organ experience. It lasted for about half an hour, and it was loud! I’ve never been a massive fan of the organ, but the notes were at full volume, and whilst looking at the ornate ceilings it gave me chills from my feet to my hair.



As Conrad said, it truly felt like we were in God’s house. Just to soak up the history of decades of people worshipping there, listening to organ pieces that people have been listening to since 1700's - probably in the same place we were sat yesterday.

Seriously breath-taking.

**In other very exciting news, Conrad received a call this morning letting him know he has his first paid acting job, starting on Monday!**

I am very excited!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me feel like I was there listening with you. Lovely. I've sat listening to the pipe organ, with goose bumps.

And, we are so excited for Conrad. Yeah for him! It takes a lot of auditions to get a job, and he did it on the first one, right? Go, Conrad!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Conrad!! Yipppeeeeee!! What is the job, by the way?

I'm right with you on the church disappointment factor. I've also found the best solution in going to old-style type services. Traditional in the sense of thousands of years, not just hymn singing.

Dawn said...

I love to imagine sitting there in that beauty listening to that massive organ. Awesome.

Congratulations to Conrad! Is it live theater?

someone else said...

Oh, I'm so pea-green with envy. I love evensong at St. Pauls and we try to attend each time we get to London. Music can't possibly sound, anywhere else, like it does in the cathedrals and I do love organs.

Congrats to Conrad.

Anonymous said...

I would have had a spiritual experience there too! How beautiful!

Sherry said...

Yeah for Conrad, that's great! I bet it was a true experience to go to that church. Man. How cool.

Sema said...

Congrats to Conrad! How fun! The Cathedral reminds me of how some of the churches looked like when I was visiting my sister in Germany. beautiful architecture! Thanks for visiting me yesterday!

BecsLifeOnline said...

I know exactly what you are saying about needing to find a Church you like. Yes of course every Church is God's house so in a way is equal, but I'm in University at the moment and even though there are a few churches in town, there are none that I really feel at home in. And since it's my "Father's" house I suppose it should be feeling like my house as well :-)