Monday, December 4

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling!

Last Thursday some people from my work decided to go to a...

Roller Disco!

I think I can safely say I haven't had as much fun since I was a kid. At first I was worried that I wouldn't remember how to skate, but as soon as those babies were on my feet, there was no stopping me! Memories came pouring back to me from the days when I practically lived on skates.



The venue was an ancient warehouse that had been converted into a massive club. There were three rooms you could skate in, each room bigger then the other. The third and final one was a room where your legs could really get into a skating frenzy!

All the rooms had their own DJs
with different music. The decor was also very impressive - chandeliers and black and white textured wallpaper with velvet covered ceilings (pictures never do justice in dark rooms!):


The pictures here were taken by my colleague. I wish I had taken my own camera, because some of the dancers in there were TRULY amazing. They danced on skates as though they lived their lives to skate and spent all week planning their outfits and routines. But they were just sooo much fun to watch! And the outfits did not disappoint - from hot pants and hot pink legwarmers to fake 'fros. At one point in the night all of the skate-dancers had a 'skate off'. They were free-style roller dancing and really going for it.

Pure adrenaline rushed through me as a whizzed around rooms attempting to stop with the breaks (does that ever work?). I didn't want to stop. By the end of the night my butt and toes were just hurting so bad that I had to give in and sit down. I will definitely be going back.

Long Live the Roller Disco!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a load of fun!

someone else said...

Oh, that sounds so fun! I haven't roller skated in eons! We have spent so much time watching people dance on cruise ships, that finally we actually dragged out sorry behinds to a small dance floor on a river boat and managed not to trip each other on the slow dance. Hip hop? Not a chance.

Dawn said...

Sounds like fun for someone young and agile! I got engaged on roller skates, but that's the last time I skated, I think.