Friday, December 22

Panicky-Train-Rachel

All my bags are packed and I'm ready to go!

I'm sat at work waiting for the go-ahead to leave early. The office is dead because all of the million-pound-paid bankers are off skiing or buying their wives Mercedes, or whatever it is they do around Christmas time.

Luckily this means that I might get off 3 hours early! Then I am off to get the train 'home' to Manchester. Hopefully the travelling should be straightforward - however due to massive amounts of fog around London, most flights are cancelled - meaning most people are running frantically to get the same train that I am hoping to get. Should make for an interesting evening!

The train from London to Manchester has become one of my old haunts. I love it. It's peaceful and relaxing. I love travelling and have a strange affinity to trains - I think this has something to do with when Allie and I would travel for miles in Switzerland to get to school, and has been affirmed by my trips inter-railing around Europe. Your brain automatically switches to deep-thinking mode and it makes for some good pondering-time. Especially with a walkman.

But for some reason, busy train stations in London have a habit of making grown men and women into complete animals. I have somewhat gotten used to this but it still shocks me every time I see it. There are usually about 100 people waiting for the same train at the same time, watching the platform information. As soon as the platform comes up onto the screen it is a stampede to get to the train. People run as fast as they can to get there. I don't really understand why this is - most people have seat reservations. What is the point?

Euston station is the breeding grounds for grown business men and women turning into rude and uncivilised people! I actually saw someone pushing by a lady on crutches. A lady on crutches! So today, panicky train Rachel will rear her head until I get to Manchester. I'll probably end up sitting in the hallway on my suitcase - but I would much prefer that then joining the herds of people running to catch a train and in the meantime completely trampling over their Christmas Spirit.

But There's no place like home for the holidays!!!!

5 comments:

someone else said...

I, too, love those trains. I'd so much rather travel around England on the trains than the roads, even if I don't see as much. They're so relaxing!

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't have to ride all the way to Manchester on your suitcase! I seem to remember us running to be at the front of the line (but there was a line) so we could nab the best seats in CH. We must have seemed incredibly rude to those Swiss folk. Especially when we pretended to be asleep so no one would sit by us. hehehe.

Rachel said...

allie - perhaps i have become more 'English' then the English themselves. Never Show Outward Emotion Of Any Kind :)

Anonymous said...

Plus, you're not 12 anymore, either! And no one had reservations.

Sherry said...

Best of luck! That sounds like so much fun.