Tuesday, January 9

Warning: Opinion Being Aired

There has been a lot of media coverage in the past week over Saddam Hussein’s execution. When I first heard about it I was shocked and somewhat appalled. The first thought I had was “They still do hangings?” I thought that this ancient punishment had gone out with the Wild West. And secondly to find out that people were happily watching footage of this? Surely, as human beings, enjoying the death of somebody else is against every moral that exists – not only Christian, but as citizens of earth.


I suppose this brings across a larger question as a whole about the death penalty. Personally, I believe it is 1 million per cent wrong. Killing someone is wrong. Who are we to judge who can live or die? Who are we to say that they will never repent, change, and recover in any way?


I am stealing this idea a little bit from Conrad – but isn't sending someone to p

rison about rehabilitation? Sending someone to prison isn’t just about letting them rot until they die, but about giving people a chance to change. I do understand that there are some sicko’s out there, and for the most part perhaps they will not change. But how do we know?


Isle of The Mighty
wrote a post about this and in his comments has tried to answer my ponderings;


“…the definition of "murder" needs to be nailed down. If murder is merely anytime one
person kills another, regardless of circumstance, then I think we quickly
develop some difficulties--for example, if a man were to attack my wife and son
and I were to kill him the process of defending them, am I a murderer? Am I the
same as the man the stalks women and murders them brutally for pleasure?

If we acknowledge that there is more than one category for those that
take the life of another person, then I think we are in a position to begin
considering what is going on when the government uses its authority to sanction
the killing of a criminal. At that point the discussion becomes much more
interesting; I think the first thing we must ask is, what is the role of the
government?”


I like reading what he has to say. It's important to hear the 'other side' for my own sake, to understand why I am so against it. I think it's difficult to find the line between what we punish for and what we do not - But surely if we're uncertain about this, including death in the equation is just the wrong way to go.


I know that to many people I will just be coming across as 'liberal' (I'm also not much of one for labels) - but people causing death just sits wrong with me. Taking joy in someone's soul being put out makes my heart wrench. Yes, Suddam Hussein was a terrible person who murdered a lot of people. I just don't see how somebody else's crimes can justify another murder taking place.


I am writing these words here in a country and office where I feel somewhat mainstream with my thoughts. I know that some of my thoughts may offend - I hope not. As I hesitated to write these ramblings down, I started to wonder why I should worry about what I'm saying - surely writing a blog is about getting your thoughts down onto screen? I definitely know that my thoughts are not complete.


I would love to hear your opinions on the subject.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

What purpose is there having a blog if you can't write what's on your mind? Blogs are not for censorship!

The death penalty has always been a touchy thing for me. And I tend to agree with you on your thoughts. I always think the punishment should fit the crime. I know that's not always feasible, but I don't think that issuing the death penalty is always the right solution.

You're right; someone who is sitting in prison for years and years could change and turn into a person worthwhile to society. You just never know. If they are put to death, they may have lost out on the opportunity to give their souls to God and spend eternity in Heaven.

There are nutsos out there who are sociopaths who will never change; but is death the right solution?

Heavy topic!

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

I think that everyone should be given the chance to change, ask for forgiveness and be forgiven. I also think that people who do wrong things should be rehabiliated and/or encouraged to seek restitution (is that the word?) and make peace with God, the victims/family etc. Killing someone for wrong doing is no the way forward in my opinion as everyone does worng. Yes what Saddam Hussain did was way up there if there was a scale of wrong or badness but with God there is no scale. I agree with you, we are not in aposition to judge and kill.
These are only ramblings inbetween picking up toys and making tea, but in my small opinion, thers must be other ways to deal woith wrong and wrongdoers.

BecsLifeOnline said...

Maybe it's my Christian upbringing and strong personal faith just like yours, but I don't think he should have been executed either! If humans kill others for their wrongs then isn't that a bit like them playing God? It's just not right.