Monday, January 15

A Quarter Life Crisis

Since turning 25, weird things have started happening to me.


For instance: I've started worrying about the state of my skin (particularly two deepish lines on my forehead), I've been watching the BBC News in the morning before work, and I've started really wondering what old friends are up to.


This last one has proven a little difficult as I don't have any addresses/email addresses/phone numbers of any of them. I don't even know what country they live in these days. Unfortunately I have a habit of losing things (my phone, address book, my mind) and have no way of finding anyone. MySpace has been pretty helpful with this, but what about people that don't use their real name? That's just not fair!



I've managed to stalk down my four friends from University. All of us took most of the same classes, used to hang out together all the time, and in our third year we all lived happily together. I was curious to find out if any of us were doing what we said we would - were we still the idealistic sociologists we once were at university? It turns out none of us are doing anything vaguely to do with our degree.


Subject number 1 has gone back to university to train as a primary school teacher.

Subject number 2 is working with the police as an 'intelligence officer'

Subject number 3 is 6 months pregnant. Wow.

Subject number 4 has started her own company producing her very own homemade chutneys.


Say what now?


I am really very happy for all of them - they seem to know what they want and they're going out there and getting it. But writing people to tell them what I'm doing? It's not so fun. I wish I wasn't so down on lying so that I could just make some stuff up. I constantly feel like I'm making excuses for myself.


I can't help feeling slight inadequacies in myself here. I've had the most unproductive 2 years out of everybody. Am I just being lazy? Did I make the wrong choice somewhere? I need some kind of kick up the back side. I need to get another job, but as soon as I start looking I just get depressed. I just need to suck it up and do it. Good advice for myself, but not so easy to do!


So now I'm going to get off of this blog thing and start applying like there's no tomorrow.

8 comments:

BecsLifeOnline said...

It's strange (and sad) when you live in such close proximity with people for three years and they sort of become your family, then everyone graduates and scatters all over the world isnt it? I came back to do my MA and only a few friends are still here because they don't graduate until this summer. Thank goodness for Myspace :-) Best wishes with the job applications! Let us know how it goes.

Dawn said...

Does it help you any to know that the only people I know who are doing what they went to school for are teachers and preachers?? Probably not, but it's true.

I know you'll figure it out!!

Have you tried googling them?

Kristen said...

You know, I'm 32 and still haven't quite figured out what I'm doing with my life. I think it happens a lot to a lot of people. Don't feel too bad!

Get married and have kids. You'll never sit down again.

Sherry said...

Sometimes, we all have to take that job to "kill time" I guess...but it brings us closer to "that goal", whatever it may be. I'd say we are in that predicament right now, but really, it's alright, all part of the journey. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough.

Wanderlusting said...

Oh dear, we are on the same wavelength.

I have to start looking for a job ASAP...well, I have a month but still (finishing up correspondance because I actually don't "officially" have my journalism degree yet...a few credits short, the bastards) AND since I turned 25 last month my frown line has gone from Noticeable to SUPER GROOVED! I don't know what happened...am I frowning more? Probably, at all the job hunting and schoolwork.

Anyway, there are these sticker type things called Frownies that you put on your forhead at night between the brows and apparently they reduce the lines...must get some.

Preya said...

I hear ya sista! I know what I'm doing (or at least why I'm doing it) but I feel so uncool compared to my jetsetting friends. I'll be 25 in November, and I'm actually really excited because that will mean I'm only like 6 months away from being done with my MA and with life in Colorado!

Dawn said...

I read your comment on Kristen's today and agree! I thought she did an amazing job! And she didn't even cut her ear or her neck or anything. What a trauma for Grandma, though!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've not been doing the blog thing much lately - life requires more than just sitting on my butt in front of a computer! =) But I do have some thoughts on what you wrote. Check my blog later for my take on some of it.