Monday, January 22

Rachel BA (Hons) Procrastination

So the whole applying for jobs thing... I don't like it. I'm applying for three jobs right now that need to be in by the end of the week. It's the "Please explain how you meet the person specification criteria" that's a killer. Basically, Sell Yourself! Sell Yourself! Sell Yourself!


Firstly, I'm finding it difficult to big myself up when I think I am grossly underqualified according the the 'job specifications'. Secondly, I don't want to start applying because then I'm one step closer to getting rejected, thus making me panic, thus being subjected to a life as a bankrupt street-walker with a tick. But thirdly (and most realistically) I'm having troubles with the application forms because I have an A++++ in Procrastination. As soon as I have something that I have to do I will make up any old excuse to not do it. Case in point: I could be doing an online application right now on my lunchbreak, but here I am writing about how I'm writing about how I'm procrastinating on my application form. Not a good thing.


In other news, there is no progress on the mouse being caught yet. We bought ourselves a 'humane' mousetrap where the mouse is lured by a generous serving of peanut butter into a little tube - gets caught - and then we let it out in a more appopriate setting (i.e. Not Our House)


How could this possibly go wrong? Who could refuse peanut butter? So now we just wait. And hope that we won't have to go a step further and actually kill the poor thing. It's not it's fault that it was born a mouse now, is it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! Those procrastination "genes"? I have them too. I am also "trying" to find a job, trying being the operative word. Thus far, I am still trying, though its only in my head.

sema

someone else said...

I remember the impersonal feeling of job applications. The really awful ones were the ones I sent off and the receiving end just ignored that I had sent it. No "thanks but no thanks" of any kind. I'm sure you'll hit on the right one.

Can't say as I feel very considerate about the plight of mice in my house. I say stick that oldfashioned "snap and kill" trap behind something in the room where the mouse likes to visit and be done with him. They multiply so fast, I don't feel the need to spare the life of the one living in my house.

Mean of me, I know. :)

Anonymous said...

I, too, hate applying for jobs. Somehow it makes me feel like a worthless drone. I'm doing that right now, too. I just applied for a director of Adult ESL job. Have no idea how to do the job, but hey, why not? If they hire me, I'll figure it out!!!

Same with you. You're capable and learn fast. So sell yourself on that point. 'Big up' your potential as qualifications. If you show confidence, they're more likely to believe in your potential, too.

BecsLifeOnline said...

Wow we have the same degrees! Did you get first class hons as well? Ha ha. Take this morning for example - I'm currently supposed to be writing a paper for one of my MA modules, yet this morning seemed the "perfect" time to clean the kitchen in halls from top to bottom until it sparkled. Now if you had seen the kitchen beforehand, you would understand how much I REALLY did not want to do that essay. I swear there were (as of yet) undiscovered life forms breeding in there!

Wanderlusting said...

Oh man, thanks for reminding me about my job-searchimg...I was in a David Copperfield induced state of bliss and ignorance. Damn!

What I hate about job applying is writing out and tailoring each and every cover letter...I get so worked up over it, start actually believing I am as capable and awesome as I am promoting myself, and then get into a tizzy when I never hear back from them.

Thomas said...

Good luck with the new blog.

Dan said...

We have a mouse as well. And we have a cat. She sits downstairs for hours watching for the mouse. I also put a humane trap out, with a cracker topped with peanut butter.

Nothing! The mouse is way too smart.

We had one last year. Lulu (our cat) actually cornered it in a closet. Then the mouse came running out and I put a colander over it and then took it outside. It started running right back in! That mouse was the cutest little thing I ever saw!

Dawn said...

You are too funny! I haven't had to sell myself for a long time, and would not want to start over again now. Hope I don't have to!! Best wishes for all of you "position" hunters out there.

Anonymous said...

Rach, any news on your mouse? Don't use up all your American peanut butter on a measily rodent. =)