Thursday, February 8

Placebo

I've had a case of the mild sniffles the past couple of days, and I'm desperate to get it all out of my system before we head off to Paris. Being sick on holiday? Probably the worst thing IN THE WORLD. So I've decided to stuff my face (well, controlled stuffing.. only 6 a day) with Echinacea. Apparently it's the miracle herb that will stop colds cold in their tracks.

But does it really work? There are millions of herbal remedies that are getting real publicity by word of mouth around here. For instance, Goji berries and wheatgrass. These fads come round week by week and who knows if they ever make any difference? Is there really any kind of miracle herb/fruit/vegetable that will change our lives?

Goji Berries



As I've said before, they give me zits. And make me crazy-hyper. Apparently they are a 'superfood' which in basic terms means The Best Thing For You Ever. In explanation terms it means they are one of the few foods in the world that our bodies could actually survive on without anything else (except for water of course). They were discovered in the Himalayan Mountains and have been found to have anti-aging effects, strength building powers and generally cure you of everything.


Wheatgrass


It tastes exactly how it looks. Like grass. It is 70% chlorophyll and stops growth of 'unfriendly bacteria'. It also gives your immune system a boost. This is also apparently a 'superfood'. It boosts your energy, has healing powers and is a powerful detox for your body. It also costs £3.00 a shot.

So my question is, how can you ever tell if it works? If it does work, that means you don't get sick - but how do you know you wouldn't have gotten sick anyway? And is this just one giant expensive placebo? Is this just another London thing?

What I do know is that they do work for me. They give me energy and a fresh, energised feeling inside. And if that is fake, well then... I will take it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi hon. I've never seen or heard of goji berries here in the north. I may just not travel in the right circles =). And wheat grass as well. Probably only available in up market London, right? I could really do with more energy! I'll have to look into it. Mummo

Anonymous said...

Um....not to burst your bubble...but Echinacea is really misused. It's really only effective if you take it when you feel the onset of a cold, as it helps your immune system fight it. If you take it too much for too long..your body becomes used to it in your system and will not fight illness on it's own. So basically, when you stop using it, your body will be very weak to fight off illness. You may want to back down on how much you use. Echinacea does not ward off illness..it just helps your body fight better.

Rachel said...

thanks beth, don't worry about bursting my bubble, that's the reason i'm using it. i've just started feeling a cold so thought i could help fight it off before next week! i don't take it everyday.ilo

Anonymous said...

hi sista,

i am home sick with a cold. it sucks. i would drink nuke waste if it meant not having a cold!

it has been a long time since having a cold so i guess im due. oh the joys of this human shell.

Anonymous said...

Who's this? He he he...

Dawn said...

I have one, too, and we're going to a ski resort tomorrow - I'm feeling better than yesterday, so hopefully that trend continues.

I don't think I could get grass tasting water down my throat, or past my nose!

I must send you some pictures of Grandpa's b-day party, or post them on the family home page. Which should I do?

Preya said...

All of this stuff is very popular here, at least in Boulder, CO. Never tried wheat grass. I haven't gotten sick at all this year (triple knock on wood). I got four colds in a row when I student-taught last year though--wasn't used to all the kids' bugs I guess!

BecsLifeOnline said...

Little bit off topic (apologies), but I know how much it sucks when you are ill on hols. I broke my knee two days before I went to Croatia. The metal leg brace I was in conducted the heat of the sun and burnt my leg underneath. Not nice! Anyway, I hope your remedies work for you and that you enjoy Paris :-D