Thursday, April 5

Meant To Be? I Think So.

The reason I'm being quite sketchy about my new job's description is because I'm a little concerned someone might do a google search looking for it, and find my blog... And I'm not really sure this is how I want to introduce myself into my new life. "Hey guys.. here are all my guts neatly organised and spilt out onto a blog page!! Enjoy!"

What I can and want to say is that it's for a chidren's charity that believe in social justice. There is a small group of people that have come together to research into a cause, and I am going to be the administrator for it. This role seems to fit so neatly into my life right now for a few reasons:

- The only real experience I have in the workplace is pretty much administrational. This is such a good way to use that experience to get in the door, and knock their socks off, then going on to single-handedly save the world.

- My degree was cultural studies/sociology course with a massive emphasis on research. They really seemed to be happy about this.

-My new boss is amazing. She is at the most 35 years old, and she is absolutely everything what I want to be in ten year's time. When I was talking about why I wanted to leave my job and go into charity, she said that she had also worked for Goldman Sachs in a similar role to what I do. The glint in her eye proved to me that she knew EXACTLY what I was talking about and why I was totally at the end of my tether as far as life in this environment goes. She may as well have pulled out a walky talky and whispered "She's one of us! Get. Her. Outta there!"

-At the end of the interview, I actually said "This is all so exciting...!" At the time I thought this may have been the death of me. But I think they actually liked my crazed, inappopriate displays of excitement.

-I was a bit scared about the massive pay cut I was going to have to take to change roles after leaving a blood-sucking money driven environment (that obviously pays quite well). I was given an offer that was quite low yesterday and I was nervous, but it wasn't going to stop me going for the job. Today, my boss called me and told me that she thought the offer they had given me was unfair due to my experience and how much she thinks I'm bringing to the project. She changed her offer. It's still not as much as I'm making now, but it's about half the amount of paycut that I was taking before. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't even mentioned the fact that I was upset about it, she just offered it to me.

-I'm actually going to be helping people. Seriously.

This job has changed my life. And I haven't even started it yet. It fits in to everything that I want to be - I can actually see my future now, and it is so so so happy.

7 comments:

someone else said...

Ah Dear Rachel, you don't owe any of us an explanation as to why you don't spill your guts about the job. Remove that idea now.

I'm excited for you! I remember when we left Bethany First Church to come back to teach at the University here, we took a 50% pay cut and it seemed crazy to do it. The Lord was faithful and provided as He led us where he wanted us to go. He'll do the same for you as you trust Him.

Anonymous said...

HORRAY!!!!!

I am so very excited and not a little bit envious! You are doing what your heart desires and feels is important. No amount of money in the world can come close to that feeling!

I can't wait to hear about it!

Dawn said...

This is definitely a God-designed path in your life! Your heart will be blessed, and probably broken at times.

Sherry said...

how exciting!! congrats!

ashli said...

what wonderful news, how exciting for you! can't wait to hear all about it!

Dawn said...

What's up, Rach?? Fill us in!

Kev and I have finally finished our Parts 5, if you're interested.

Dawn said...

Re your comment this morning - yes, it was very tough and we were not sharing at the time, so were pretty much alone in our agony. But it is also cathartic to write about it now. Thanks!