Wednesday, March 21

Tune Me Up

There are a couple of songs I'm listening to at the moment that get me 'right there'. Right in the place that makes me want to copyright the song as my own. Or jump out of the seat and try to teach myself to play the guitar for the 12th time. Or go back in time and become the angst-ridden teen that had enough energy and passion to write poetry late into the night. Or catch a plane, arrive at their home and ask "how is it you know my thoughts?"

1.) Anais Mitchell's child-like voice and unexpected note changes make me a little excited. They also make me want to go read up on my Greek literature so I can keep up with the references in her songs. My favourite at the moment is 'Your Fonder Heart'. The lulling sweet and simple finger-picked guitar mixed with a heart-felt floaty voice;

www.myspace.com/anaismitchell

2) Whilst living in a small town on the border of Switzerland and Germany, there were not too many English-speaking people around and one would tend to hang out with those your own age. One of these such people my own age was a boy called Aaron. I haven't seen him since those early pre-teen years where we would sled, hang out at the playground and shirk our homeschooling hours, getting into as much mischief as possible.

Turns out he made himself into a pretty good songwriter. And decided to write a little ditty about his childhood:

www.myspace.com/aaronpaulbeckum .

I actually try and stop myself from listening to his songs because they really do bring a part of my life back that I feel is personal and private, and it scares me a little bit that someone I haven't seen since I was 12 is out there singing about it. There aren't too many people in the world who can sing about swimming down the rhine in high-time summer time. One particular song 'Breaking Even' has hit it home the past couple of days, at a time when I'm beginning to realise that everywhere I go, something is slightly off. At a time when I kind of just want to pack up the house and go travelling for a year in an overly hot country where I won't know where I am or what date it is.


3)
The third one is going a little out of the folk genre and moving swiftly on to some kind of electronica. Artist is Scroobius Pip and song being 'Letter from God to Man'. I don't think this guy is a Christian, and I definitely don't agree with a couple of things he says in the song i.e.: "I was a simple being that happened to be the first to yield such powers". However, this song made me stop in my tracks, gave me chills from my little pinky toe to the bottom of my hairs. I found it extremely beautiful and sad all at the same time:

www.myspace.com/lesacvspip - Letter from God to Man.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's so weird to discover someone else who has the same memories as us! And then to hear them singing about it... it's eerie.

Sherry said...

I went to school with him. He's a neat guy.

Anonymous said...

My current favs are Zero 7, Sia and of course Imogen Heap. Probably not new to people overseas...but pretty new over here and I am addicted.

Sia's "Breathe Me"....UGH...makes me cry every stinkin' time.

We had a guy in our class in high school that had a band and wrote songs. He wrote a song for our graduating class, which I still have. I would LOVE to know what in the world happened to him!

Rachel said...

hey beth - sia is one of my faves that i listen to a lot! her voice is just beautiful. i think i've memorised all of Zero 7's songs and imogen heap.. beautiful!! :)

Anonymous said...

Did you really go to school with Aaron, Sherry??? That's an unexpected connection!

Anonymous said...

So cool. Just knowing you like the same music makes me feel special. Like I'm not an old foagie.

Dawn said...

Very thoughtful thoughts, though I know none of the music. I enjoy your thought processes.

Has it warmed up?

Dawn said...

Stopping back by to let you know that Kev and I finally finished Chapter 4!