Friday, November 30

Happiness

In my job, I am becoming increasingly aware of how depressed everyone is. Not every day in the people that I meet, although a good portion of the people I know do have depression. But depression in the people of England as a whole.

I don't want to write down the name of the inquiry I work for here, in case someone up and finds it and leaves me feeling slightly foolish. But it's basically an inquiry into what effects the wellbeing of children and young people in England today, and what steps we can go towards making it better.

Okay, of course this is a mammoth task. But the one thing that strikes me is how Hapinness and Love come up an awful lot. Children need Love. Children need happiness. Well, don't we all? And when we're talking about happiness, we're not talking about a feeling of glee or 'happiness' that you have when you buy something, or when you eat something. Happiness is indeed something that needs to be looked at on a deeper level - What is it and why is it that happiness is lacking almost everywhere?

I myself am quite a happy person (I think?). I don't like to be negative for very long. There was a period of over a year that made me extremely unhappy, but that had grown from my circumstances and my hatred for my own circumstances. I took control over them and I changed them, and since I have experienced happiness again. Not many depressed people can do that. Mine was born completely out of circumstances. I don't have a chemical imbalance, but I do know several people that do, and it effects their lives every single day.

There are certain things that bring satisfaction and happiness to people's lives - are these things lacking (for the most part) in people's lives? I don't get it. Was depression around long ago, and we just didn't have a name for it? There was no 'cure'? Is depression a new thing? I don't mean to be talking just about depression, but it confuses me.

Is this the curse of modern life? What is 'missing'? Is anything missing at all? Do we no longer know how to seek out happiness in our lives? Was this chemical imbalance around in history? Has it creeped in through the development of modern life, sparking something that was already there?

I suppose I will never know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big topic, and you hit a lot of different aspects of the happiness/depression spectrum.

As you might expect, I would say a great deal of the depression of our society is spiritually based--or, related to the lack of spirituality in most lives.

Also, a great many people cannot take control of their own situations to change them, and that leaves them in a pit. Especially if they have no means of coping with unfulfilled expectations.

Depression has always been around, but not in epidemic, or endemic, proportions. Think of the biblical story of King Saul's 'evil spirit' which would come over him. And, the artists of past ages described as 'melancholic'.

My own depression is in the category of chemical imbalance, but is affected by emotional or stressful situations. Oddly, I would not say that I have been unhappy during my recent bout with depression. At least, not at the basic level of the spirit. Perhaps that is why I never have had suicidal feelings (something the Dr always asks, and which catches me by surprise).

One can be unhappy, through circumstances, and yet be at peace with oneself. One can be depressed, too, and still know there is a 'rock' to stand on that will not be moved.

Thankfully this is one area you did not inherit from your father; in this you have a good measure of your mother in you!

Dawn said...

This is a very thought-provoking post, Rachel. I do believe depression has always been around, and I have read about some historical figures that they now believe had depression in their lives - even Abraham Lincoln, if I recall correctly.

I think it's a lot like other things that are so prominent in our lives now, because we have access to so much more information than we need about other people's lives!

But having said all that - I do believe there is a prevalance of unhappiness in our world. I think much of it has to do with the pursuit of "things", and the proliferation of things to pursue. And the lack of ability of have all of these things because of financial restraints. And the lack of God in their lives. God is pursuing them, but they're too busy pursuing stuff that they can't hear His voice.

Well, I didn't mean to write a post here, but it is a very good and sad and intriguing topic! Since I work in the social work arena, I see much of what you are talking about as well.

Have a wonderful week-end,and I'm glad you posted again. You write so well.

Dawn said...

I just hit "send" and found that your dad had just responded as well - in his own inimitable style he and I said somewhat the same things - only he says it so much better, of course!

Preya said...

I don't know much about depression, but I agree with you. I am depressed and have been for quite a while, but I know it's situational. I know what I need to make me un-depressed, and I'm trying my best to achieve it! I guess the difference is that I have been in a sorry state for so long that I've kind of lost myself and that's scary.

Anonymous said...

Your line of work paves the way for bouts of depression. Not that you must be depressed if you work for a charity that brings you closer to other people's pain on a daily basis. But that the door to depression is always open in this kind of work and unless you have somewhere else to go with your thoughts....
Thankfully your faith can help you see the hope. But it's not like that for everyone. Not to be too cliche, but it's possible that your greatest effect there will be among those you work with as a constant reminder of the good they do for these kids. ??