Wednesday, October 3

Nester

There's something exciting about digging through the hordes of shoes at the bottom of my closet, throwing the flipflops behind me in eager anticipation of reaching The Knee-Length Boots. It's October, it's raining, and I want to be cosy. Zipping up my boots, I get a chill from the cold leather lining. The chillsome air starts feeling more welcoming as I tie up my long warm winter coat.

I walk outside in the moisture filled air and push up my umbrella. Today is the first day I need an umbrella, the first day I need my coat, the first day I wear my boots. I'm feeling cosy as I walk to the bus stop, already looking forward to the moments when I get home and feel the shock of warm air on my face.

I love autumn.

I can smell the damp leaves falling from the trees lining my street. I can taste the moisture in the air, trying to creep past my scarf.

I've decided tonight I'm going to read a book. Get home, take a bath, and read in the yellowish light coming in from the street. I realise it's time to free the blue Grandma-knitted blanket from the trunk in the bedroom, wrap it round myself while I drink tea and nibble on whatever biscuits I can reach from my position on the couch.

Greys and blacks and reds and dark browns.

Autumn is here.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm, divine.

Anonymous said...

Rach, you make it almost seem enjoyable...all the misty, rainy, soggy, penetrating wet...Mom

Kristen said...

Oh, I am SO with you!! I love, love, love autumn! Nothing better than packing away those summer clothes and pulling out the cozy ones!

Sherry said...

may I join you?

Dawn said...

This is a lovely piece! So descriptive - I'm glad I checked back here!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thanks for filling my imagination with such wonderful things. I remember the smell of sodden leaves on the ground, and the feeling of dark afternoons coming home from school... smiles all around.

Anonymous said...

I love autumn!!
Role on Christmas!!

I'll get 2 grande eggnog lattes to go!

Rachel said...

ben is that you???