Thursday, November 11

Got milk?

I've got a milk supply problem. The boobies aren't giving it out in the evenings.

This means that every evening (sometimes, randomly, it's fine) poor little Milo is sucking his little heart out and getting nada. He's upset, I'm upset, the dog's upset - it's not pretty. There's nothing I can do to make the milk come. So what I've done is pump the milk in the mornings, when I have more, and then Conrad has been feeding it to him when I don't have any.

This is not fun. For some reason I am STUBBORN not to feed our son formula. I don't have anything against people who formula feed, but for some reason, for me, breastfeeding Milo is a big deal. I want to breastfeed him for at least 6 months, and I don't want to feed him formula until then. I don't know why. Every time I see a health visitor or a doctor, they ask if he's formula or breastfed, and always seem really surprised that I'm purely breast feeding. I wonder why? Do I look like the kind of person that wouldn't want to breastfeed?

I really honestly do not thing that mothers who formula feed are different from breastfeeding mothers, I promise. Some women can not breastfeed, some women choose not to, but for me breastfeeding is synonymous with loving my son and caring for him. Giving formula almost feels like I'm failing or that I'm not providing what my son needs. Failing. Every time he's crying because I can't give him milk, it makes me so sad.

So I've been doing what they say - eating oats (home-made oatmeal cookies count, right?), pumping in the evenings after he's eaten to trick my body into making more the next night (although seriously... it's like milking a stone). But it's not working. I try to relax, and it doesn't work. Usually what happens is that I give him to Conrad and he cries his little heart out until I finally get some milk... this can take a while.

It's complicated, it's emotional. Breastfeeding is a whole world of emotions that I didn't expect.

But I may have to give in. I may have to give the poor starving boy a bottle of formula in the evenings. I may have to admit defeat. If it wasn't affecting him, I would try try try try try.. I love a challenge, and I'm determined to make this work: BUT I don't want my boy to be hungry. He needs his food.

Another unexpected parental emotional heart-wrenching practical problem.

4 comments:

closing in said...

this was stressful to read! and i know con has to have participated in the cryfest if all that's happening at one time.... =)

Anonymous said...

I have read about women who have taken some herbal supplements to help with milk production.....I'll research to find out which one.....

Brooke :0

Anonymous said...

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

There's one link...
brooke

Beth said...

Hey Rachel, this is your cousin Beth here. You might try fenugreek. Very safe herb and recommended for milk production. I am 100% behind you. I feel breastfeeding is the best way if possible. You are not wrong in feeling this way.