Monday, May 17

Restlessness.

Every day, around after lunch I’ve started feeling very restless. Some might call it itchy feet, but I just call it my past catching up with me.

I’d very much like to take an early day off of work, get home and start packing. Conrad and I will pack all of our things into a couple of suitcases (including baby stuff, of course), grab Snoopy and his lead (and of course, poop bags), lock up the house (with lights on for winter-time, so people think there’s someone home). And go. We have enough gas in the car to make it to France, I’m sure – once we get over (or under) the channel we can just go whichever way we choose. Perhaps a bit of brie and rich red wine on the way through France, a few stops along the way to eat duck and steak and walk along rivers and buy endless amounts of baguettes and pastries. I’m not sure where we should go next. How do you feel about Spain? I wouldn’t mind seeing some more of that Gaudi architecture, I do like the blues and greens and the tiles and the cave-like buildings. We’ll then perhaps take a turn towards Italy. Yes? Italy, I miss Rome – let’s go see the ruins and soak up the intensity of Italian spirit. I wouldn’t mind some creamy pasta, I could drink a nice cool glass of Pinot Grigio, definitely. Once our feet are too tired, we’ll sit at a café and drink coffee with lots of foam on top. When we’re done, we’ll walk till we can’t walk anymore and we’ll have another one. When we run out of coffee money, we’ll buy lemon fanta and sit in a piazza, not caring that we’re poor. We’ll then drive out to the coast to a small town (shall we choose Chivitavekia?) where no-one will know what we’re saying and we think everyone is angry at us – but really they’re not! Now then, I know where I want to go now – let’s go to Switzerland. Let’s visit my home. I will take you swimming in the Rhine in the height of summer, we will find paths that nobody knows, we will laugh at their choice of footwear and walk giddily through the main street of small town. I will feel at home, I will feel a different kind of normal. We will walk along the river to buy ice cream, I will show you the Munot and the way of life. We’ll need to take a train, because that is an essential! We will leave just on time and arrive when we’re supposed to. The streets will look like postcards, and I’ll know I belong there that day.


There are so many more places to go, but my mind is tired now. Perhaps I’ll just stay here in my office in London and dream about it, but you’ll still be there with me.

4 comments:

JJC said...

I dont know if I'm a super emotional disposition but that took me on a roller coaster of emotions, maybe b/c I feel that Nick could have written it. knowing his passion, knowing his feelings of not at home, it's so strong so urging. that little city you named in Italy is where Nick wants us to have our h-moon. maybe we'll race our vespa's along the streets, loser has to buy an extra bottle of wine. we'll bask in the evening sun sipping the winnings and throwing bread bits at Conrad for being out of control. nick will snort and then get embarrassed and we'll laugh till we pee our pants. I can show you around spain, so amazing. great great coastal towns, you must go to Valencia. and Malaga. we'll take the car from Barca, to Malaga, to Valencia then over to Madrid. ( or is Malaga more south than Val...?? SEE!!! it's been too long since I've been there) Nick will eat ham until he's sick and we'll all the free tapas we can find. Baby will never the difference and we'll take funny pictures of baby on different statues. Switzerland... I've heard so much, I must go. Trying to get a job in Geneva. we will be poor. but we'll pass days in the river laughing and talking deeply about differences in culture and how places shape our everyday unimportant ideas and reactions. more wine. you all will feel at home, I'll feel out of place except that hopefully I'll speak French by then...or will we be in the german part? who knows, who cares? ... hm. i'll stop here b/c it may never end.

JJC said...

oh my word, i just reread that...awful number of typos and skipped words. sometimes my brain thinks faster than my hands can get the words out. forgive the typos, I was just a bit excited.

gg said...

Ok, I want to go to all those places too.

It reminds me of all the places in the world that I have seen but want to go back and soak it in. Experiencing those magic moments of serendipity that can never be replicated. Take me now I'm free this summer!!!

Allison said...

I will feel a different kind of normal... that's it.